LAST EDITED ON May-02-06 AT 11:19 AM (Pacific)
LAST EDITED ON May-02-06 AT 11:04 AM (Pacific)
Yes, the title is correct. I mean Wizardry Gold, not Wizardry 7.For people who have problems to run Wizardy Gold on new computers in Windows (because of inability to slow down messages enough on some computers), this could be a way.
You will need your own a copy of Windows 3.x (to install into the DOSBOX).
Some knowledge of DOS/Windows/DOSBOX is also good... It is not so straightforward as with the newest DOOM game you bought yesterday in the shop...
1. It *requires* the newest CVS build of DOSBOX (the necessary changes are in CVS - meaning in the source code repository - since the evening of the 1st May 2006). The version 0.65 is not enough!
2. Set the "core=dynamic" in DOSBOX.CONF. Other cores are not compatible with Wizardry Gold (you can use them to install, but the error will appear when you start the installed game). I recommend to set "cycles=auto" as well in order to get the maximum speed.
3. Install Windows 3.1x.
4. If the keyboard does not work in the Windows enhanced mode when using dynamic core then you have too old version of DOSBOX (see point 1.).
a). Install & configure SoundBlaster driver (I installed the driver for SoundBlaster 1.5 provided in Windows for Workgroups 3.11), there are ways to install SoundBlaster 16 - I did not try it). See http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=9600
b) Install MPU 401 (General MIDI) driver (it is a part of Windows 3.x).
6 Install the driver for graphic card S3 or modifed SVGA driver. Set it to 640*480, 256 colors. See:
SVGA patch is here:
7. Now I recommend to install the following three things (some of them are installed by Wizardry Gold as well (check your CD), but it is better to do it separately and I also think that at least "Video for Windows" is missing on the CD with "Ultimate Wizardry Archives", which leads to failed installation):
a) WING library
b) Win32s extension
I had once problems with one version of win32s crashing, I hope that it is not this one... If yes, look for another. There may be one on Wizardry Gold CD...
c) Video for Windows (AVI support for W3.x)
8. Install Wizardry Gold and run it...
a) I used the patched SVGA driver myself to get 256 colors in W3.x in DOSBOX (standard Windows SVGA driver does not work). I guess that S3 driver will work as well.
b) I installed only 8 bit sounds for Wizardry Gold, but I guess 16 bit will work as well with the proper SoundBlaster (SoundBlaster 16).
c) I had to change the Midi Mapper settings (in Windows 3.11) from Adlib to General MIDI to get music (maybe this will not be necessary with SB 16).
d) The game emulation requires some raw power. If you have less that 1 Ghz computer then do not bother (it will work but too slow). I guess 2 Ghz machine should be all right.
Anyway - on slower computers try Wizardry Gold directly in Windows (maybe it will work ok (including that cursed setting of speed for messages, which is the main reason for emulating it)).